Academic Skills Certificate
What is the Academic Skills Certificate?
The Academic Skills Certificate (ASC) program is a self-directed program designed to help you improve your academic performance in order to achieve your goals. The program consists of workshops, online videos, and reflective journals.
How do I begin?
First, call 703-993-2380 and request an ASC Initial Meeting with a Learning Services staff member. You will be asked to complete the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory prior to your appointment. The link for this online assessment will be emailed to you. During the ASC Initial Meeting, the staff member will discuss your individual circumstances as well as the requirements for the ASC program.
What are the requirements?
1. Take the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI) before the first appointment.
2. Attend an ASC Initial Meeting in Learning Services. During this session, you will be enrolled in the ASC Blackboard course.
3. Attend three Academic Skills workshops.
4. Complete the Academic Skills videos and journals via Blackboard Organizations (mymason.gmu.edu).
5. Take the LASSI post-assessment before the exit interview.
6. Attend an exit interview to discuss what you learned during the program and your plan for success. You will receive your certificate at this session.
How long does it take?
Allow yourself a minimum time commitment of three weeks to complete the program. Create a schedule with specific times and locations to finish the online videos and journals.
If you need further assistance, please call (703) 993-2380, email Learning Services, or come to our office in SUB I, Room 3129.